Politico lists the largest events held on the national mall in Washington, D.C. They are:
- 1.2 million: Lyndon Johnson’s 1965 inauguration
- 1 million: Bicentennial fireworks display, 1976
- Between 750,000 and 1 million: Pro-choice March for Women’s Lives, 2004
- 800,000: Desert Storm victory rally, 1991
- Between 655,000 and 1.1 million: Million Man March, 1995
To be honest, I don’t know if we went down to the inauguration in 1965. I do know that I did go down to the mall in 1976 to watch the fireworks and I was there in 1991 for the Desert Storm victory rally (but only because I was then living at 9th and E streets, N.W., and couldn’t avoid the dang thing).